terça-feira, 11 de maio de 2010

Is fish essencial?

I'll write about fish, which is one of the most controversial points of vegetarianism.

I got suspicious since I found several sushi restaurants in São Paulo, a large city away from the sea, selling all-you-can-eat type of deal for about 17 reais, with slices of raw salmon sashimi included.

I found out that you have a chance to be eating an animal that changed sex (they inject hormones in the male, females are larger), wich means, loaded with hormones. And colorants, because the "cultivated" river salmon have a pale color.

Ignorance is bliss. But I already know I do not need fish to live, I know where I can find such a fat long chain omega-3 that feeds my brain. In algae, the fish's food. And even some algae and fish have similar tastes.

As much as I thought that fish is essential to health, today I know it is not. It is not necessary. There is no exclusive nutrients in it, ie, that only has in it. Indeed, the things that you will find only in the fish are the high chance of food poisoning and mercury contamination. In addition to saturated fat and cholesterol.

So yes, you can go without fish.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário